Signs Your House May Need to Be Re-Wired

Electrical wiring that is not properly installed or maintained can lead to a fire. According to the U.S. Fire Administration, 24,000 fires in 2019 were caused by an electrical malfunction.

If you live in an older house or if you’re not confident that your electrical system wiring is up to code, consider getting an electrician to evaluate it. Here are warning signs that indicate it’s time to rewire a house:

Discolored switchplates
Switchplates that change color are a warning sign of a problem. If you notice that your switchplate has suddenly switched to another color, it means that the plastic and wiring connections are overheating.

Aluminum wiring
Because aluminum is cheaper than copper, it was used in wiring during the 1960s and 70s. But aluminum expands and contracts when exposed to heat, causing numerous problems with wiring.

Electric shock
Another sign of a potential problem is if you feel a slight electric shock when you plug in an appliance. If this occurs, it could be a symptom of a grounding issue and you should have the wiring checked by an electrician Oak Brook. Getting an electrical shock can cause injury.

Circuit breaker tripping
When circuit breakers trip, it means the electrical load has gone beyond the capacity of the circuit. It could be caused by a faulty appliance or just that you’ve added too many appliances to one circuit. It can also indicate a problem with the wiring in your house—in which case, you need to call a licensed electrician Burr Ridge.

Professionals can handle it
Outdated electrical systems can be dangerous, causing fires and other problems. Although many older homes don’t have visible warning signs, it’s a good idea to have a professional electrical company Hinsdale check the system every ten years.

Working with electricity can be dangerous, and it’s best to hire professionals who know how to handle it.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *